Monday, October 8, 2007

Introducing Pastor John Sleadd

Help. I've been turned into a pastor. It was around January of 2007 that my pastor, Dale Meador, challenged me to consider stepping into full time ministry. He was pastoring two churches at the time, one in Medford where he lives (Bear Creek Church), and one in Grants Pass where I live (Coram Deo Church). I guess he figured it was time for the church to have a local pastor, so he asked me to step into leadership. Gulp. At first I was terrified by the prospect. Then, after much prayer, wise counsel from friends (I hope), and encouragement from the church elders, I overcame my fears. Kind of. Actually the excitement slowly edged out the reservations. I agreed.

For the last twenty years I have been a school teacher in grades 5, 6 and 8. I have taught in Anchorage Alaska, Stockton, California, and Grants Pass, Oregon. Most recently I was a fifth grade teacher at Redwood Elementary School in Grants Pass. In my spare time I've enjoyed helping out in various churches as worship leader, adult Sunday School teacher, seminar and retreat speaker, men’s discipleship leader, family home group leader, and church elder. Four years ago I founded Covered Bridge Family Ministries (http://www.coveredbridgefm.org/) to support Christian families who are committed to home discipleship. Out of this ministry grew the Clarion Forensics Speech and Debate Club in which I have served as director and speech coach. It has been absolutely delightful to work with families in the training of young disciples for the Lord. I’m taking a leave of absence from teaching school to help build up Coram Deo Church.

Two things in life have blessed me more than anything else: Jesus and family. I am amazed at God’s mercy and grace to save a sinner such as I, and then to bless me with such a wonderful wife, children and friends in the faith. Arden and I have enjoyed the power of God’s Word and Holy Spirit in our home, directing our family life and fueling our desire to minister to others. Arden and I have been happily married for 23 years now. We have five children: Naomi (20), Nathan (18), Aaron (16), Alexa (14), and Caleb (10). Thanks to Naomi and her husband, Nathanael (24), we are the proud grandparents of Boone (3 mos.).

While I have enjoyed being involved in church work for many years, I confess my inadequacy for my new role of being a pastor. I am humbled by the awesome privilege and responsibility of helping shepherd the Lord’s people at Coram Deo Church, and I will rely on God's strength to help me in my weakness. I am grateful to Pastor Dale and the elders for their commitment to mentor and disciple me. We have been meeting weekly since January for ongoing pastoral studies and training.

My daughter, Alexa, informed me that pastors these days need to blog in order to be relevant. It’s her fault you’re reading this right now. I’m not quite sure where I’ll go with it, but I’m hoping it will be an authentic account of a regular guy’s ministry journey. I’ll try to articulate vision and direction. I’ll try to admit struggles and mistakes along the way. Maybe it will encourage others to take risks as well. I’ll try to be serious about the things of God, but not take myself too seriously. Please pray for me. It will help things progress a lot more smoothly.

I’ll end with a favorite John Piper quote from Future Grace: “Ministry is a lifestyle devoted to advancing other people’s faith and holiness.”