Saturday, March 20, 2010

Love to Work

I’ve been pondering the works of mankind again. What gives us such drive to work, I wonder? Why do we strive to create, and produce, and evaluate what we do? Now that I have begun this post, for example, I detect the urge to finish what I have begun. I will revise my work, too, hoping that the finished product is worthy of my crafting and worthy of your reading.

I confess I love all manner of work. I love the work of designing and building, of planning and organizing, of producing and sharing, of developing and improving. I spot this love of work in many other people, as well. I observe that the love of work makes us learn and grow as we pursue knowledge and new experiences. Love of work makes our homes hum with harmony as we produce health, happiness and hope in the loving relationships born of faith. Love of work makes the economy buzz as we exchange goods and services for mutual benefit. Love of work helps us refine human government as we weigh and advance competing ideas by point and counterpoint.

Where does this love of work come from? I believe that our Heavenly Father has wired it into us. We are, after all, made in the image of our Creator who worked for six days to make all that is. It is no surprise then, to detect similar impulses in man the creature. The Bible says it nicely in two verses: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colssians 3:17).

I’d like to ponder the idea of good works further, but the weather is fine, and there is much work to do on my acre of property. Thus will I bring to a close one endeavor to engage in another.

May God bless you as you pursue the good works that He has prepared for you.